John Deere tractors have always been popular among the farmers but one such tractor which had grabbed the attention of the entire agriculture and farming industry is the John Deere 4440 tractor. It is the most popular John Deere tractor even today. The production for this service started in 1978 and continued till 1982. The tractor is a row-crop tractor and it belongs to the very popular Iron Horses series. The production took place in Waterloo, Iowa and the tractors are popular even today because of their extraordinary performance and their reliability.
The John Deere 4440 tractor has 130 HP. It has a 6 cylinder turbocharged engine which is run by diesel. The tractor also has two types of transmission systems which are PowerShift or Quad-Range. The tractor is also quite durable and has a very high oil capacity of 15.1 litres. The tractor can be used under any land conditions. So, let us study the various features, functions, advantages and disadvantages of the very popular John Deere 4440 tractor.
General features: The John Deere 4440 model has a length of 4030 mm, a width of 2080 mm and a height of 2980 mm. The wheelbase is 2710 mm while the weight is 5400 kg. The total fuel capacity is 245 litres. As a result, it can carry a huge amount of fuel at one go. The cabinet type is Sound-Gard cab standard. It also contains an open operator station. The tractor uses 2 6V batteries for operation.
Engine: The engine used is a 4-stroke liquid-cooled inline type. The engine has a really good cooling capacity because of which you will not have to stop your engine at regular intervals for it to get cooled after running it for a particular duration of time. The engine comes with 6 cylinders and is driven by fuel. The displacement is 7.6 litres and it has a compression ratio of 14.9:1. The starter is an electric type. The fuel capacity is 15 litres. The engine also has a coolant capacity of 34 litres. The engine is really powerful and is capable of giving really high output. This makes it a superior tractor of the John Deere series.
Transmission: The John Deere 4440 tractor has two different transmission models. The transmission model can either be PowerShift or Quad-Range type. The Quad-Range type has a Partial power shift transmission type. There are 16 forward and 8 reverse gears. The forward speed is 16.9 mph while the reverse speed is 10.7 mph. For the powershift transmission model, there is a Full power shift transmission type. There are infinite forward and reverse gears. The forward speed is 18.5 mph while the reverse speed is 6.1. The chassis is 4×2 2WD or 4×4 HFWD 4WD. The steering type is full-power hydrostatic type while the brakes are hydraulic.
Power take-off shaft: The power take-off shaft is a very crucial feature of the tractor and every John Deere tractor is known to have high-quality PTO. The rear type PTO of the tractor is independent with a hydraulic multi-plate disc wet clutch. The rear PTO speed is 540/1000 rpm.
Hydraulic system: The tractor has a close central hydraulic system. The pressure is 250 psi. It can have either two to three valves while the pump flow is 23 gpm.
Various advantages of the John Deere 4440 tractor:
A few of the major advantages of the John Deere 4440 tractor has been mentioned below:
- The engine is basically the heart of the tractor and it provides the tractor with the required power to do all the heavy-lifting jobs. The John Deere 4440 tractor is really powerful. It also has a very high power supply and can do intense farming tasks for long hours.
- The transmission type is another really important feature of the tractor. Because of the highly sophisticated transmission system, the tractor can perform really well. There are two different transmission models available for the tractor. You can use any of the two models.
- You can also use various types of attachments along with the tractors. This greatly improves the flexibility of the tractor and also increases the ease of use.
- The three-point hitch is the most useful feature of the tractor. The power take-off shaft is also quite powerful. It can uniformly provide power to the various attachments. This improves the functionality of the tractor.
- You will also be provided with really good quality tyres. Because of the tyres, the tractor can perform heavy work seamlessly. The tractor also has headlights available. As a result, you will be able to work with complete ease even during the evening hours or at night.
Various disadvantages of the John Deere 4440 tractor:
Just like any other tractors, the John Deere 4440 tractor has a few disadvantages. Some of them are:
- Finding spare parts for the tractor can be quite difficult to find at times. You have to do a lot of research and hard work in order to acquire the perfect parts for your tractor. The parts can also be quite expensive.
- There has been a question of fuel efficiency among the farmers. Some of them has complained that the tractor is not quite fuel-efficient and it can hamper the overall performance.
Why is the John Deere 4440 tractor so popular among the farmers?
The tractor has a really good performance and it has very high efficiency. It can fulfil all the basic needs of the farmers. The tractor is also quite affordable which again makes it a popular choice among the farmers. You can also use the tractors for days without having to take them for regular maintenance. The tractors have been popular for a very long time now and are still tending in the market.
Some thoughts to end with:
As you can see, the John Deere 4440 tractor is a really powerful tractor for the farmers. It will not only improve your farming experience but will also allow you to earn a lot of revenue. It also has high horsepower. Hopefully, you got an idea of how the tractor is and how efficient it is going to be in the long run. Do let us know what is your idea of the tractor and we will share it with the readers.