John Deere 790 is the first model of this series manufactured from 2000 to 2007. The Yanmar company in Japan developed this compact utility tractor. It was replaced by the John Deere 3005 model. But the previous model John Deere 790 remained a favorite tractor on the farmland.
This tractor has a 2W or 4W version and is equipped with a 27 hp or 20kw Yanmar engine. The key features include gearbox systems with 8 forward and 2 reverse speeds, an unsynchronized transmission system, and attachments. The main attachments are a front loader and a 60” mower deck.
The 2WD version of this tractor has manual steering, and the 4WD version has hydrostatic power steering. There are independent dry shoe brakes and an open operator station with ROPS (rollover protection structure). This popular model includes a 24.0 liters (6.3 US gal.; 5.3 Imp. gal) fuel tank. If you want to know more about the John Deere 790 tractor, read below its specifications, features, price, etc.
Features Of John Deere 790 Tractor
John Deere 790 is a compact utility tractor developed by the Yanmar company in Japan. This is a good quality tractor with great features. Here are the key features of the John Deere 790 model tractor.
The John Deere 790 model was launched in 2000. It is equipped with Yanmar 3TNE84 diesel 3-cylinder liquid-cooled 91.3 ci (1.5 L) engine. It has a dry air cleaner system and produces a gross power of about 27 to 30 hp (22.4 kW). The engine’s bore stroke is around 3.3 x 3.5 inches or 84 x 89 mm. And Its compression rate is 18:1. It has a rated RPM of 2600, 12 starter bolts, and (4.0 L) 4.2 qts oil capacity.
This tractor is powered by a battery of 500 cold-cranking amps, 12 volts, and 45 groups.
John Deere 790 is provided with an unsynchronized transmission system. The tractor has 8 forward and 2 reverse gears. Its transmission system has an oil capacity of (15.1 L) 16 qts with low viscosity HY-Gard oil type.
The John Deere 790 model tractor provides a negative ground alternator charging system with 20 charging amps.
The tractor is available with 6.00 to 12 (early) Agricultural front tires and 12.4 to 16 early Agricultural rear tires. Its turf front tire is from 25 x 8.50 to 14 and the turf rear tire is from 13.6 to 16. This model’s industrial front is 25 x 8.50 to 14 and the industrial rear is 15.0 to 19.6.
John Deere 790 tractor has an open center type hydraulic system with a capacity of 4 gals (15.1 L). It produces pressure of around 2050 psi (141.3 bar) and 5.4 GPM (20.4 LPM) of pump flow. This tractor has a steering pressure of 2050 psi (141.3 bar) and a steering flow of 4.2 GPM (15.9 LPM).
Pros Of John Deere 790 Tractor
● It is a reliable and good quality tractor with a 27 hp or 20kw Yanmar engine.
● The driver’s compartment is comfortable in this tractor.
● John Deere 790 offers an unsynchronized transmission system.
● It is available in 2W and 4W versions with hydrostatic power steering.
● The tractor comes with useful attachments like a front loader, a 60” mower deck, and John Deere 7 backhoe.
● It offers an open center type hydraulic system to provide a constant flow of oil to power steering and implements.
● The gearbox system of the tractor has 8 forward and 2 reverse speeds.
Cons Of John Deere 790 Tractor
● Its 3PH lift capacity is a bit weak compared to other tractors.
● The battery terminal connectors are inferior.
Price Of John Deere 790 Tractor
The price of a used John Deere 790 tractor ranges from USD7000 to USD15000. The accurate price depends on the condition of the tractor and location.
Checklist For Buying A Tractor
A tractor is purchased for long-term use. So it is important to properly check the condition of a tractor before you buy it. The below checklist is helpful to identify a good tractor.
● A good tractor starts immediately and smoothly.
● It is free of any leakage.
● It doesn’t make unusual noises.
● Avoid buying a tractor with rust.
● There should not be any damage inside or outside the tractor.
The serial number plate of the John Deere 790 Tractor is located on the rear of the tractor. Below is the chart of serial numbers against their manufacturing year.
Year Serial Number
John Deere 790 is a reliable and powerful tractor. It offers great features and useful attachments. This article includes all kinds of information about this model. Hopefully, the post will be helpful for you to know more about the John Deere 790 tractor.