John Deere is perhaps the most popular tractor brand in the world with more than a hundred different tractors available. This variety, alongside the known durability, makes John Deere a highly sought-after tractor brand. The LX176 tractor, which is a member of the LX100 series is no different, with lawn and garden owners using it to take care of their lawn.
John Deere LX176 was manufactured in Horicon, Wisconsin, USA between 1991 and 1998. In this period this tractor enjoyed a good run in the fields of lawn owners and continues to do so even till today. It uses a durable gasoline engine made by Kawasaki.
It is a small riding lawn tractor with an open operator station. LX176 can do a lot of garden activities for you including mowing during the peak growing season and clearing snow from driveways and sidewalks. This article will be discussing the full capabilities of the LX176 tractor its pros and cons and everything about it.
Features of John Deere LX176 Tractor
There are at least 6 major parts in a tractor and these parts constitute the features of this tractor. For LX176, we’ll be seeing some of the most prominent features and their effects on the tractor.
John Deere LX176 is small and compact. It has a comfortable operator seat in an open operator station. It is also without any ROPS which serves as protection against accidental rollover.
This tractor weighs only 535 lbs (242 kg) which is quite light considering tractors are heavy-duty machines. The small size, however, helps to conserve fuel but also limits the activities you can execute with it.
It is 66.1 inches long, 49.7 inches wide, and 40.2 inches high with a wheelbase of 45.9 inches.
The engine used in the LX176 is made by Kawasaki and is a Kawasaki FC420V model. It is a single-cylinder gasoline-powered engine that is air-cooled. The fuel capacity is small at just 9.5 L which means you may have to refuel when working for long.
The horsepower of the engine is just 14. This is small but effective for this small tractor handling lawn activities. The LX176 engine has an electric starter and a 12V battery. The battery has 255 cold-cranking amps with a charging amp of 13. The displacement in this engine is rated 25.8 ci, the bore and stroke are 3.50 × 2.68 inches while the oil type recommended is 10W-30 with an oil capacity of 1.3 L.
Transmission and Chassis
The base frame of the tractor carrying the other parts like tires, electrical systems and more is 4×2 2WD. Its steering type is manual sector and pinion with mechanical band brakes.
When it comes to the transmission that handles the transfer of power to the tires, it uses the Tuff-Torq K61 model and hydrostatic transmission type to ensure the engine power reaches the tires in the right proportion.
While the gears are infinite for both reverse and forward movement, the maximum speed you can reach for forward movement is 8.8 km/h and 4.0 km/h. The capacity of the transmission oil compartment is 3.4 L.
The small tractor means the tires here would be considerably smaller than the typical tractor tire. Make no mistake, these tires can carry the weight of the tractor and any other additional attachments without stress.
The front tires are usually smaller than the rear tires with the front tires having a rating of 15×6.00-6 while the rear tires have a rating of 20×12.00-8.
There are two major attachments for the John Deere LX176 tractor, these a are mower deck for cutting grass during peak growing season and a snow blower for clearing snow. The size of these attachments and their mount points vary. Here are the attachments with more details:
- Mower deck: it uses a mid-mounted John Deere mower deck that has 2 blades and a manual lift. Its cutting width is 38”, mower decks with a cutting width of 44” and 48” can also be used. Bear in mind that larger mower decks typically struggle with taller, wet grasses
- Snow blower: two different snow blowers can be used on the LX176 tractor. A single-stage front-mount John Deere 2461M/2462M with a clearing width of 38” and a single-stage front-mount John Deere 3252M with a clearing width of 42”
Pros and Cons of John Deere LX176 Tractor
Here are the benefits as well as drawbacks to this compact lawn and garden tractor:
- Reliable: the tractor has been around for a while and is a reliable piece of garden equipment as evident by the testimonies of its users
- Handling and control: when working on the lawn, you need a tractor with a good turning radius and a size that enables good handling and movement of the tractor around obstacles. The turning radius of this tractor is 0.51 meters
- Attachments are easy to change: you can easily and quickly change the attachment for this tractor
- Durable finish: the paint and design of this tractor is not only great but it is long-lasting giving you that new look for a long time
- Small fuel tank: the fuel tank capacity is just 9.5 L which means you’ll need to refuel if you want to use it for more than a few hours
- Expensive parts: the parts for this tractor is expensive so you may have to compare across different markets to get the best deal
The price of LX176 in 1998 (its last production year) was $4,150. Today, you can get a decent LX176 for between $500 and $1,300. As you can see this is an affordable lawn tractor you can get without burning a hole in your pocket.
Everything here is to make your decision easier to make. This is a reliable and affordable tractor to get for your lawn. It however has a low horsepower and may require more time to handle some tasks like mowing long grasses.\