Kubota L3400 is a compact utility tractor made by the popular Kubota brand. Kubota has been in existence since 1890 but only launched its farm tractor line in 1960.
This Kubota L3400 tractor, however, was manufactured between 2004 and 2010 in Japan. L3400 is a member of Kubota L series tractors. These tractors are made with the comfort of the operator with ergonomic and comfortable sitting arrangements available. Its construction is also high-end stuff.
The Kubota L3400 utility tractor as its name implies can do a whole lot more than just making your lawn or a small garden. It can handle landscaping, the majority of planting and harvesting operations and so much more.
There’s also the optionality of its systems as you can choose between a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive. There’s also the option of choosing between two engine types which we will talk about fully further into this guide.
If you haven’t already gotten the point, this piece will be talking all about the Kubota L3400 compact utility tractor, what it brings to the table, and finally help you make the ultimate decision if you should get one for your needs or not.
Kubota L3400 Specifications
First, this is an open cabin tractor but unlike a lot of other open cabin tractors, the L3400 offers the operator some form of protection as it is fitted with two post rollover protection structures known as ROPS.
So even though you may not get protection from the rain or sun, you are protected from injury if the tractor rolls over.Some of the other physical attributes of this tractor are its size, height among other things.
Being a compact tractor, it only weighs 2600 lbs for L3400HST, 2580 lbs for L3400DT, and 2403 lbs for L3400F. Its 2WD model is 110.6 in long while its 4WD model is slightly shorter at 106.5 in. It is also 51.4 in wide and 85 in high.
As mentioned earlier, this tractor offers you the opportunity to choose between two different engine options. The first option was fitted between 2004 and 2007 before it was replaced with the second engine option that ran from 2008 to 2010 when the tractor was discontinued.
- Engine 1 (2004-2007)
The first engine put in the L3400 tractor is a Kubota D1703 model engine. This type of engine is a four-stroke, liquid-cooled engine that ensures you do not have to stop for the engine to cool down before you continue working.
It is a 3 cylinder engine with 34.7 HP and powered by diesel. It has an electric starter, displacement of 1.6 L, oil capacity of 5.7 L, and coolant capacity of 6 L.
- Engine 2 (2008-2010)
After 2007, Kubota decided to improve the engine of the L34000 compact utility tractorby replacing the engine with a Kubota Extrapower engine. This engine is similar to the D1703 engine used previously except it has a higher displacement of 1.8 L, a higher horsepower of 35.7, and a bore and stroke of 3.39 in × 4.02 in.
Transmission and Chassis
Transmission is a system of gears by which the power generated by the tractor is transferred to the tires enabling not only smooth movement but control. The chassis is the base frame carrying the front and rear wheels and also some other parts.
This tractor has a chassis of 4×2 2WD or 4×4 4WD while the transmission is a hydrostatic type with infinite 3 -range forward and reverse gears. The forward speed is 22.7 kmh while the reverse speed is 20.4 kmh
There’s an option for a constant mesh transmission type with 8 forward and 4 reverse gears. Its forward speed is 21.2 kmh and its reverse speed is 7.6 kmh. The transmission oil capacity for both is 27.6 L.
The tires are just as important as the tractor engine and even though it is mostly neglected by intending tractor buyers, you shouldn’t fall into that trap. You want tractors tires that would carry the weight of the tractor well and would leave little or no tire marks on the ground.
- Fronttires: Therating for agricultural tires for the L3400 is 5-15 for 2WD and 7-16 for 4WD. Rating for lawn tires is 23×8.50-12 for 2WD and 25×8.50-14 for 4WD. Rating for industrial tires is 27×8.50-15 for both 2WD and 4WD
- Rear tires: rating for agricultural tires is 11.2-24, lawn tires is 13.6-16 and industrial tires is 15-19.5R4
Pros and Cons of L3400
Here you’ll see the most important features of L3400 and some of the things we feel they should have done better.
- Utility tractor: while some tractors are just specialist tractors for a certain type of lawn or garden activity, the L3400 can serve you in so many and across so many field types
- Compact design: Kubota did good making this tractor as compact as possible without being too small
- Ergonomic chairs and design: the sitting condition is this condition was made with the operator’s comfort in mind with a comfortable ergonomic chair available
- Two post ROPS: to ensure you are protected in case of tractor rollover, the operator seating area is fitted with two post ROPS
- Excellent handling: the handling of this tractor is smooth and easy further helped by its compact design
- Modern: made between 2004 and 2010, this tractor can boast of modern inputs
- Parts can get pretty expensive especially when buying from a dealership
- Unavailability of manuals online
The tractor was sold for $18,000 in 2009. Now, it goes for between $10,000 to $15,000 depending on the year of manufacture and present condition which is pretty high. But considering this is a modern tractor and its abilities, this may be a great buy in the long run.
Compact design, useful for many different activities including landscaping, mowing, planting, and more, the L3400 may not come cheap, but it is worth the price considering what it gets you.